This recipe for coconut milk rice is super easy. The rice texture is not as creamy as in a risotto, but stickier than rice cooked in water. In each grain of rice you observe how well the coconut milk fat coats rice.
Why the recipe for coconut milk rice is easy?
The idea behind is quite simple – instead of water, rice cooks in coconut milk or in a combination of coconut milk and water. In this way the rice comes out with a less strong coconut taste for those not used to lots of coconut mil in their cooking. If you prefer a strong taste of coconut milk do not dilute. In the recipe below the Thai rice requires 1 and a half cup of water to each cup of rice.
How to serve coconut milk rice?
There are many ways to serve. If served with Lentils in coconut milk and fried fish, then it is a trio made in heaven. You can also serve with fried tuna, chicken balls (bullets) or fish stew…it is up to you.
- Half onion diced.
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- 180 g Jasmin rice or any other rice you prefer, just follow cooking time.
- 180 ml coconut milk (not coconut cream)
- Half teaspoon of marine salt.
- In a saucepan, with burner in low-medium, heat olive oil and sauté onion until translucid.
- Add rice and sauté rice and onion for 2 minutes.
- Pour coconut milk and water following total water ratio and let it simmer in low heat for 10-12 minutes with lid on.
- If using a different rice that requires more time follow recommended cooking time.