In this recipe you will learn how to cook rice in coconut milk. The rice turns with a a texture not as creamy as a risotto, but stickier than rice cooked in water. In each grain of rice you observe how well the coconut milk fat coats rice.
What is coconut milk rice?
The idea behind is quite simple – instead of water, rice cooks in coconut milk or in a combination of coconut milk and water. In this way the rice comes out with a less strong coconut taste for those not used to cooking with lots of coconut milk. If you prefer a strong taste of coconut do not dilute. In the recipe below it was used a Thai rice that requires 1 and a half cup of water to each cup of rice.
How to serve rice in coconut milk?
There are many ways to serve. If served with Lentils in coconut milk and fried fish, then it is a trio made in heaven. You can also serve with fried tuna, chicken balls (bullets) or fish stew…it is up to you.
- Half onion diced.
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- 180 g Jasmin rice or any other rice you prefer, just follow cooking time.
- 180 ml coconut milk (not coconut cream)
- Half teaspoon of marine salt.
- In a saucepan, with burner in low-medium, heat olive oil and sauté onion until translucid.
- Add rice and sauté rice and onion for 2 minutes.
- Pour coconut milk and water following total water ratio and let it simmer in low heat for 10-12 minutes with lid on.
- If using a different rice that requires more time follow recommended cooking time.