A delicious deep chocolate flavour in a gluten free recipe. An insanely easy almond four chocolate cake that cheers up any occasion.
This cake is so, so rich. You will love it because it has a deep chocolate flavour with an appetizing surprising texture coming from blending almond flour, melted chocolate, butter and sugar.
When you bake to your friends for the first time, try to make them guess what is included. It will be fun to observe how answers will vary. When I asked my friends, they always went too far with explanations trying to guess what was a simple flourless chocolate cake. The original texture can mislead our taste buds in a surprisingly delicious way.
How did I develop this recipe?
I came across this recipe in Australia’s Women Weekly. In this recipe hazelnut meal is the main ingredient for a gluten free recipe, but the recipe asks for refined sugar. My version uses almond flour (skinless ground almonds) instead and brown sugar replaces refined sugar in less quantity.
If you want to know in more details the difference between almond flour and almond meal look here. I baked different versions using gradually less sugar until I found out the right balance between sugar and dark chocolate. The organic dark chocolate contains 60% of cocoa. If you prefer 70%, you need to increase the amount of sugar.
This recipe requires unsalted butter and chocolate melted. If you want to know how to melt chocolate fast in the microwave, look here.
- 80 ml hot water
- 35 g cocoa powder (cacao only no sugar)
- 150 g melted butter (unsalted)
- 150 g melted dark chocolate (60% cacao)
- 200 g raw sugar (wholesome sugar or rapadura)
- 125 g almond flour (skinless ground almonds, the kind with a fluffy texture and a light cream colour)
- 4 eggs, separated egg whites and yellow
- Cocoa powder for decoration (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F or 180 C.
- Line a cake pan with baking paper on the bottom and at sides.
- Heat water in the stove or microwave, no need to boil.
- In a bowl, blend hot water with cocoa powder until cocoa dissolves completely.
- Add brown sugar, melted butter, chocolate, egg yellow and almond flour and blend gently.
- In a different bowl, mix egg whites until stiff or castle forms
- Add half of egg whites with almond batter and blend gently
- Pour the other half of egg whites and blend gently again until all ingredients are combined
- Pour in a lined cake pan and put in the oven for around 40 minutes
- After 40 minutes, stick a toothpick in the middle of the cake; if it gets out clean the cake is ready.
- If not, let it cook for just a few minutes more. Do not let it cook too much because it will lose its moister.
Notes for a successful almond flour chocolate cake
It is expected that craters appear on top when the cake is ready. For a healthier cake, always use wholesome sugar, also known as demerara or raw sugar. If you prefer chocolate with a higher percentage of cacao, increase slightly the amount of sugar. This cake can be made ahead and frozen.